ASUU & JAMB rejects 120 as cut off mark, commends reintroduction of POST- UTME


Vice-Chancellors and the Academic Staff
Union of Universities (ASUU) have
 the rejected the
decision of the Joint Admissions and
Matriculation Board to peg admission
cut-off mark at 120 for universities and
100 for polytechnics, monotechnics and
colleges of education.
ASUU said the action was in tandem
“with the dream of the present
government to destroy public universities
in the country.”

A few words  obtained by The Punch newspaper :
Vice-Chancellor, University of Ibadan
(UI), Professor Idowu Olayinka, in a
statement released by his Media
Assistant, Mr Sunday Saanu, on
Thursday, August 24, said UI stated that
it would never admit any candidate that
scored 120 in the UTME.
“It should worry us as patriots that
candidates who scored just 30 per cent
in the UTME can be admitted into some
of our universities. Yet, we complain of
poor quality of our graduates. You can
hardly build something on nothing.
"The consolation here is that since JAMB
started conducting this qualifying exam
in 1978, UI has never admitted any
candidate who scored less than 200
marks out of the maximum 400 marks.
“This translates to a minimum of 50 per
cent. This remains our position as an cg
institution aspiring to be world-class.
Reality is that only about four other
universities in the country have such
high standard.
"To that extent, apart from being the
oldest, we are an elite university in the
country at least judging by the quality of
our intakes," he said.
However, he also commended the
decision of the FG to re-introduce the
post-UTME test.
Olayinka said: “It is gratifying to note
that the Honourable Minister of
Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, who
chaired the meeting, apologised publicly
for canceling the post-UTME screening
last year.
“In effect, universities are now allowed
to conduct the test using modalities
approved by the Senate of each
“To be fair to the incumbent Registrar of
JAMB, he was not the Registrar when
the policy somersault of cancelling the
post-UTME test was made last year.
"As strongly canvassed by us at every
opportunity, for UI, the need to admit
the best admission seekers is the
primary motivation for the test and not
money, even though we do not pretend
that you can run any university so
properly called without funds.” 
Prof. Tope Ogunmodede, the Vice-
Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo
University, said the institution would
not admit any candidate with 120 UTME
“Traditionally, OAU has never admitted
students who scored below 200 in the
UTME. For us, we are sticking to 200.
"The minimum benchmark is 120 but you
can go higher than that. I expect that an
institution should be able to determine
the quality of its graduates because there
are internal exams. What has been done
is to provide a leeway for universities to
decide their cut-off marks,” he
Meanwhile, NANS has described the
reduction of the cut-off marks for
admission into tertiary institutions as
“ a gross misplacement of priority and an
exercise in futility.”
However, Prof. Friday Ndubuisi, the
Vice-Chancellor of the Christopher
University, Ogun state has a different
view. He said the new admission
benchmark would have no negative
implication on the quality of education.
He said: “This is not an imposition. The
cut-off mark is a minimum benchmark
for admission. This idea of taking the
UTME every year without getting
admission is worrying.
"About 1.6 million candidates sat for the
examination this year and about 500,000
will be admitted mostly because of the
cut-off mark.
"Most universities will not go below 200,
but with five credits obtained in two
sittings, a person should be qualified for
admission. This is, however, not an
imposition. Universities still get to decide
on whom to admit through the post-
Quoted from NAIJ & THE PUNCH 

No comments

The comments as seen does not express the opinion of any author at Forum1000.
Anti-spam will be detected,please kindly comment in relevant to the topic